Monday, September 16, 2013

Paying Tribute

The paradox in my blogging continues...when I have time, I have nothing overly interesting to share...and when I have loads of things to share, I don't seem to have time to put them in writing. So, it's a few days late but I will relate to you the events from my September 11th, 2013...


They're applauding us now. I put down my burger to avoid looking completely ridiculous while everyone stares at us. Patriot day. That's what they call it now. The anniversary of that fateful day in September 2001 when the face of America was forever changed. I have to tell you that the thought of working in Emergency Services hadn't crossed my mind yet when those towers fell...nor did the events of that day inspire me to venture into this profession. In spite of that fact, the brave acts of the men and women who lost their lives on that tragic day still affect me on nearly a daily basis. I am not a political person and the full sentiments of this day don't necessarily ring home for me. However, since its induction a few years ago, this day has come to mean more than just a time to remember those who lost their lives that day. It has become a day to pause and thank all of the first responders of this nation who run towards tragedy when everyone else is running away from it.
Today, as a way of showing their appreciation, one of our local retirement homes is hosting a luncheon for us. My picture has been taken more times than I can count and I'm hoping they don't make their way into a newspaper or onto a social network site. I just want to eat my burger and smile happily at the elderly faces as they shuffle past me. They, on the other hand, are intent on shaking my hand, patting me on the back and making mini-speeches in our honor. I try to soak up the attention without feeling too prideful.
The word hero is used several times and all I can think is that I'm not a hero. I am an everyday person who does extraordinary things...and even those extraordinary things aren't really that extraordinary most of the time...at least not to me. I am only human and can only work within the confines of whatever situation in which I may find myself. But, just for today, I will let these generous older ones tip their hats and carry out their respects as they feel necessary.
When our meal is over, we say our farewells and make our way to our waiting ambulance. There are cheers and waves as we make our exit. In the solace of the patient compartment, I close my eyes and drift back 12 years. The men and women who answered their final alarm that day truly died as heroes. I hope and pray that no one is ever left to remember me in that way.
The rest of our day was carried out with a solemness unlike any other. Everywhere we looked, there was tribute to not only those who died 12 years prior but also to those who still work as public servants in this country. Although the thanks was much appreciated, a large part of me felt relieved when the day was over. The events of the morning of September 11th, 2001 will never be forgotten but sometimes it is easier to remember them in quiet recollection than with fanfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment