Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Teach and be Taught

Another ACLS class down today. (Advanced Cardiac Life Support to anyone who isn't used to all the medical abbreviations.) Why do I teach? Some days I seriously second-guess the answer. When I am slogging through cardiac algorithms with someone who has the perpetual deer-in-the-headlights look, I really wonder "Who in the world am I to make them understand this?"
Why on earth did I take on such a cumbersome task? Well, like most things, I pretty much fell into it without having a clue what I was really getting into. My adventures in teaching began while I was in paramedic school. Part of our medic curriculum was to take the CPR instructor course. Bam! I was in.
Actually, for a few years, I kicked aside my instructor certification. I was going to save the world...and that certainly wasn't going to happen by teaching people the most menial of skills like CPR. I was more interested in intubation and cricothyrotomies and needle chest decompressions. CPR was for grunts and I was not a grunt nor was I going to instruct such.
Then, life caught me off guard. I got pregnant and couldn't work on the ambulance I loved so much. I fell back on the only thing I had left and decided teaching grunts wasn't so bad. In fact, I realized how fun it really was.
Teaching people a new skill and helping them get going or keep going in their careers is a pretty awesome responsibility. Plus, once I figured out how important CPR really was and how NOT easy it was, I had a whole new-found respect for those that I had once referred to as grunts. Yes, my tune has changed. I think it does with anyone who is young and ignorant and thinking they're the world's greatest medic. CPR is hard work...and it's the most life-saving skill you can perform for someone who goes into cardiac arrest. So, now I think EVERYONE should go out and learn it. And, I will certainly do my part in teaching as many of those that I can.
When I look back on all the people who have come through my classroom in the last 6 years, I suddenly realize all the lives I have really touched. I have signed off hundreds of students on this lifesaving skill. How many people have those students turned around and saved because of something I taught them? I will never know but it's a pretty cool thing to think about.
I recently took on teaching Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). What in the world?!? Yeah. I decided that I was enjoying teaching to the point that I took on one of the toughest classes out there. It hasn't been easy. But you learn more by teaching than you do any other way. And when I see the light go on and suddenly obstructive shock makes sense to a terrified med student, it makes my day all worth it.
Sure. I have plenty of days I come home and want to pull my hair out. And there are those times I have to finally throw in the towel and know that someone is just not going to pass my class no matter how hard I try. Those days aren't quite as good. But, when I see my newbie medic partner that just came through my class sticking a cardiac monitor on an unstable patient and figuring out his treatment options based on such, I know that I've done what I set out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment